Thursday, September 6, 2007

The rest of the trip

sleeping in the airport
finished with the trip
Rick picking us up
Monica loved the views out the window in the airplane.
this was the huge airplane from Manila. there was an upstairs too.
Well traveling just doesn't seem to come easy for me! lol. This time with the gravol working so well I thought it should be smooth sailing. Monica kept teasing me about taking gravel. (Gravol: the nausea medicine)
Well when we got to Salt Lake city we had a few hours to wait till our next plane. We were very tired, because sleeping on the plane in those tiny little seats is challenging to say the least, then avoiding sleep all night in the San Fransisco airport. But now we were almost home with just one more flight to Spokane that leaves at 11:35. So we went over to get something to eat and to get some walking in. After we ate we thought we would just sit and wait, it was still 1-2 hours before our flight. So Monica said it's this way and I agreed, went and sat down in C5. I got on the phone with Martha and time began to pass. Suddenly I looked at my watch and wondered why they haven't called us yet. It was 11:30. Looked at the ticket and realized we should have been in D5 not C5. We ran, but had missed our flight. We waited for the rest of the day on standby as they tried to get us onto the next flight out. Not until 7:30 did they finally find a seat for us. Then the wind started blowing. They stopped all flights. During these hours it was to our bodies the second night in planes or airports. Monica was sleeping soundly where ever I would move her, I would drift off to sleep sitting straight up even for a few minutes with a short little dream, then wake up to check if Monica was still there, the baggage, purse etc. In and out of these 5 min naps. Rick has been in Spokane all day waiting for me. He visited a friend, drove down to Ritzville and had a nice time reminiscing at the library, looking at year books etc. Then he took a long hike at the airport. We finally got into Spokane about 9:30, drove straight home and arrived about 1:30 Am.
I tried to total the hours in travel and I belive it came to about 42 hours from the time of leaving Davao to home. Boy it was good to get home. The children had the house all clean and James and Jon had huge hugs for me. Mark is still in Kalispell and Gina is at school in Bozeman. I slept so good and now my hours seem to be pretty normal except for a quick nap yesterday.
I acme home to a huge stack of mail, luggage to unpack, half an hour of phone messages on the machine, with huge lists of to do stuff and it's great to be home, to toilets that flush, warm showers, quiet and peaceful Libby. Fresh air, no more sweat and stickiness and "normal " food. Mishael said something about having roast chicken for dinner and it took me a few minutes to wonder why I didn't feel like eating this. (Trey have roast chicken on almost every street corner, so we ate a lot of it.) I think we will have tacos tonight! with real cheddar cheese!
Monica and I will never forget our wonderful experience in the Philippines. The very kind, sweet Filipinos, the wonderful friendships, and the incredible birth experiences. May the Lord continue to bless the wonderful work Mercy Maternity is doing there and also those that made this trip possible for us. I'm so thankful I got to be part of serving there for 3 weeks.
I can't wait to see what God has for our future.

1 comment:

  1. They didn't have cheddar cheese there? That is funny, in Bolivia they had a lack of cheese also except for the dreadful stuff.

    ReplyDelete