Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sunday night still in Grand Junction

We actually got Mom over to Jim's tonight for a "birthday" party. Since we are not sure if she will make it till her birthday, and we are all together now we thought we might as well have a party. She did pretty good.
This is a bunch of us around the table
Mom and me. she is very tired, so she likes to lean her head against me.

3 sisters together. All with red shirts was an accident!
Grand children with Grandma
Granddaughters


She is very confused the last couple days and says the funniest things. It just doesn't make sense. Some of her responses to my questions are that we “could do it at the table” “There is water running down into a cup” “I’m really confused” What time is it? “Do they want me to make a decision” She smiles. “No I will spill it” “Maybe I’d ruin the bed” “I heard rumors that I have beds” Tonight she said "it's so hard to make boys"
Other times she is very clear still. She is just very frail and weak.
She is also jerking a lot. This really bothers her. Sometimes the jerking is so bad it's like a reflex and she actually kicks us or something.

The pictures below show her house right now. It's a a huge mess. She was always so clean so I'm glad she can't see it now. (she is staying at Jeannie's house) We have been going through all her things. She was an incredible organizer and book keeper. She had papers filed from many years ago. Letter and cards from way back.
Letters from her cousin John to her aunt rose. They tell story's of our past.
Then yesterday when Jean, Jim, June and I were in the garage together going through things, pulling out a Christmas stocking, or bells that hung on our door every Christmas, we ran across a file with my grandparents birth certificate from Italy, their immigration papers, and marriage certificate. My grandfathers Social Security card made out of metal! I suppose they used to make them sturdier then now. we found a book of instructions from when she was an operator. She had her picture in the newspaper because the phone company burned down. The newspaper article said 12,000 phone lines down.
We have found many precious memory's tucked away the normal stuff that needed to be sorted through.


We have been splitting up the painting. I ended up with a beautiful horse picture she painted and another big one. They are really good paintings.

There are so many pictures too. We still haven't begun to separate them. There are 23 photo albums, plus lots of loose pictures we are going to be dividing up. then their are the ones we will all want copies of.
We packed the van with all the nice things I'm getting to bring home. It's all the special stuff.
I got to call Salvation army yesterday. I'm hoping they will do a pick up for us because we lots of stuff to give them too.

I've been hearing lots of story's from our past.
Tonight I learned that pretty much everyone in our family on both sides died of stroke. My dad, and both Grandfathers died in their 40's.

No comments:

Post a Comment