Saturday, December 8, 2007

Update on mom from Jeannie

MOM’s Status today so far: Sat. morning

Mom is sleeping a lot more. When she stirs, she gets (or should I say….tries to get) out of bed. I put the ottoman next to the bed so she wouldn’t fall on her face. (If I have the side bars completely up, she tries to climb out the end, which is worse). This a.m. I had just gotten her back in bed; when I turned around, her face was planted in the ottoman. I don’t even know how I managed to get her back in bed. I almost called the fire dept who has a service that will help pick people up for us; or I thought of calling Jim. Her legs don’t work at all anymore; so it is all her weight.

Last night we thought she was going to pass. Her skin was grey and she would stop breathing for what I think was approx. 30 seconds at a time and then gasp for air. She had a pulse and checked her fingernails and saw that she still had circulation. She hadn’t had any more drugs than the night and day before. She isn’t even on as much as they have said is OK. They said every 4 hrs. but she is getting the dose only 3 X’s a day.
She was in the chair and we couldn’t wake her at all. We made her comfortable and left her there for the night. I checked her through the night. Both Bill and I are very surprised that she is still with us.


Now she is in bed and resting.
She is awake very little any more. And when she is, she is having a hard time saying even a word. Yesterday, though, we had a musical show on. They played Gene Kelly’s Singing in the Rain. I asked if she remembered that; she said “oh yes”
The next song they did was from the Graduate: “Mrs. Robinson.” I remember how she hated that movie and song. She didn’t stir, so I guess it didn’t bother her last night. Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment