Saturday, March 22, 2008

crazy weather/ garden time?

It's beautiful and sunny today. Yesterday we had a huge snow storm. We still have snow covering most of the ground. In some places there is a foot of snow still and then where the snow plow made a pile it's still 6 feet high. I wonder if it's not going to sill be there end of April. I remember at Martha's wedding 1996 the yr we had another snowy year. We still had patches of snow in April. This yr seems like it will be more then patches.
My car smells like rotten milk!
I know that smell well! Why do I know that smell so well? Too much experience with that one. The most memorable time was being at the Chupps house on Pinkham road. We were getting some fresh cows milk from them in a gallon jar. Their drive way was a steep hill up. The milk jug being in the middle of the 2 seats in the VW van, when we went up the hill the jug tipped, lid came off and the milk spilled not only all over all the carpet, but all into the heater too. It was awful! We never really did get the smell totally out.
Well I better go clean my car. I'm hoping it's not spilled milk but just a glass of sour milk that I can just throw away.
Well this sunny weather makes me want to plant a garden again. Every year it's a waste of time. Nothing really grows. But this year I have an idea. Last year Michelle Martin grew a very small garden and had tons of vegetables. We all asked her "how did you do that?" She said in that little plot she put 3-4 bags of some sort of fertilizer. Well this made me realize that the reason my garden never makes it, is because the soil is sand and washes the nutrients away plus all our big trees have roots that eat up what ever they can get. So my idea this yr is make some raised beds, and use a bunch of fertilizer. Plant less but concentrate on getting more from what I do plant. I'm always wanting to garden this time of year, we will see if this ends up a better year for us. With the price of food it would be great to grow enough to save a few bucks.

1 comment:

  1. We had a gardening speaker yeaterday at MOPS and she was saying that it is important to test the soil to see how much fertilizer to use. Also, she said she uses Miracle gro on all her plants.
    She was talking about how it is not worth it to buy the plants, but instead to start them yourselves. She got me excited.....

    ReplyDelete