Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TV and ER

I'm afraid I'm addicted to ER.
I don't think I've ever wanted to watch this much TV in my life.
I was born in 1961, so TV was pretty simple back then. Growing up my family used to watch TV in the evening. I remember waiting for Thur night to watch Bewitched and That Girl. (Bewitched wasn't too Innocent) Brady bunch and Partridge family on Fri. My parents were pretty careful , I remember we watched "Laughin" once, they said never again.
When we got married we had a hard time gong without a TV. We watched it every evening. I planned my week around TV programs. I started my day with exercise show, then it went off during the day except sometimes for lunch I would watch Mash. When I really started serving the Lord, I began to pray he would take away my desire for TV. He did! We began having bible studies 2 times a week. college students at our house almost every other night. We were having fun with people and lost interest in TV. It was no big deal to just get rid of it. So we went about 20 years without TV. I am so glad we did that. It's a great way to raise children. We did a lot of reading, and writing letters. The girls had pen pals, I wrote journals. We did lots of stitching, sewing, cooking. I think TV takes away a lot of time spent on healthier things.
Over the years, at times we would watch videos now and then. But about 4 yrs ago Rick wanted to get cable TV. We tried it for 6 mo. Didn't like it at all and got rid of it. About 2 yrs ago we got Dish. We had a DVR this time. We really liked it. We would tape only the good shows, never watch commercials. It was good, and we found ourselves spending too much time on it. So after a year we got rid of it too. Just too much time in front of the thing watching good shows.
But we are getting older and began to enjoy the evening, relaxing in front of the TV. Well that brings me to the present. We borrowed ER from Mishael and I'm addicted!
I really like the medical stuff, plus it has it's love story and the getting to know the people and their lives.
Well I'm sure this phase will pass. When spring/ summer really comes no one wants to sit in front of a TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment