Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I had a neat day yesterday. I started my shift at 6 am. It lasted till 10 pm. I was so tired!!!!
We had 4 births during that time. They were all nicely spaced and what we call butter births. Just easy nice births with really no problems. Plus I did pap smears too. The one I did was a 16 yr old girl. She was 4 mo pregnant, it’s sad.
The people here are so short. Monica is taller then most of the midwives. They think it’s so funny.
I started to write about Switzerland and the post was lost. There are 2 interns here from Switzerland. One is Elizabeth whom I will show you a picture because she was so kind to take us up to Jack’s ridge. It would have been pretty scary to go alone. 1st of all I need to mention that some of these girls here at the school (there will be 13 of them next month ages 18 to 24) don’t necessarily have a passion for midwifery. What they have a passion for is missionary work. Midwifery seemed to be a good choice for working on the mission field. Which I never realized the great need for midwives all around the world. Although probably mostly the 3rd world county’s.
Anyways I was asking Elizabeth about Switzerland. She was explaining their school system. It sounds so good. They go through 8th grade, but sometime in 8th grade they start trying to find out what the student wants to study for their occupation. They give them tests, take them out to see different occupations. They have you pick a few that you have interest in and you spend a week with working in the occupation and observing. By 9th or 10th grade you start an apprenticeship program. So by the time you are an adult you already have a skill and probably a job. Sounds like a great plan to me. I wish we could start our young people in a skill.
So Elizabeth decided to be a carpenter. She was licensed as a carpenter. She wanted to go on the mission field so worked on the YWAM ships as a carpenter for a couple yrs, then she was working on land for a short time and realized as a women she would not be accepted as a carpenter, So she went back home and decided she needed a woman’s skill and chose midwifery.
I thought it was an interesting story about her life.
Well today I had the day off, so Monica and I went to a “mall” this one was an awful like American malls. One of the stores had lots of fabric. Julia was in dream land. The workers walk around with meter sticks and if you want some fabric they cut it right there. No tables for cutting. We found all sorts of fun little items. We had quite a few bags and they have no carts. At every door you check in your packs with a guard. So we checked our bags with him and we didn’t have to carry them around. Then we decided to try some Filipino items from the vendors. First we tried a fruit shake , it was wonderful. It was fresh pineapple, mango and melon, mixed with a little milk a spoon of sugar and ice. Then we tried fried ice cream, which was not fried in oil,. Only put in a frying pan, I assume cold, in order to make a liquid into ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. That must be fun for Julia!
    It is interesting how in many of the European countries they do or did that. I think it makes better students. I guess with homeschooling we can sort do that if we wanted to!

    ReplyDelete