Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chiffon cake

James 8 yrs old made a chiffon cake
Mark 10 yrs old, made peanut butter bars

This morning I was working on the computer when James came in to ask me something. Most of the time kids ask " can I play on the computer" or "can I go outside and play" But James says, "can I please make a Chiffon cake" James is 8 yrs old! As you can see they turn out great. This is the 3rd time he has made one.
Mark made Peanut butter bars! yum.
I love Chiffon cakes. I feel like it's a pretty healthy dessert too. It has about 10 eggs in it. No butter, a little oil, but it's pretty low in fat, and it's got the protein from all the eggs. So for cake, it's a good one.
So James has learned to separate eggs, they have all learned what soft peaks, stiff peaks etc are.
This is one thing that I've noticed about homeschooling. When they were in school no one wanted to cook. There just isn't the time. They come home from school at 3:30, we clean house and everyone wants a bit of free time. I cooked dinner and they did very little cooking. With home schooling there just is more time to learn real life, cooking, projects. Jon learned drywall and taping this year. We've also been going though a scenario with Jon. 15 yr old will often say stuff like "I'm going to move out when I'm 18". so I said, lets go though the steps. How do you move out? How do you get a job? How do you get an apartment, pay bills, etc.
It's been an interesting school yr. Not very typical and not what I planned exactly. But everyone is defiantly learning and that's what is important. Anyways, any son that can make a chiffon cake will be very impressive to any wife.

3 comments:

  1. That is impressive! He is going to have to teach my boys how to make a good chiffon cake! I don't think I own an angel food cake pan though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my pan must be 32 yrs old. I can't remember when I got it, but it's the one we have always had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your family, Joyce! ~Diana

    ReplyDelete