Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The end of the Dakota house!

The kitchen with the old fashioned sink. Matched very well to my new hickory cabinets.

James was showing the place to you!
Notice the new carpet in the bedroom, new windows, nice doors.

The claw foot bathtub.

Living room and kitchen

Part of the new kitchen, complete with dishwasher.

Laundry room. the whole house was bright and fresh.
Well it was a very interesting first experience on house flipping. It was hard work, fun, and a learning experience. I didn't "loose my shirt" but I didn't make very much money either. I was so disappointed at first. Now I just am glad I made some money. with the economy the way it is, some people are losing money.
I'll give the figures here because I think 20 or 100 yrs from now someone might find the prices very interesting.
I bought the house for a great price of $69,500. I got it so cheap, mainly because there was a huge lump in the living room that had to be fixed.
I spent a total of $7000 to fix up a repair the place. New kitchen and all. It turned out really nice.
have been easy. But this yr is a I thought I should be able to sell the house for $100,000. Last yr I know that would different story. I had an offer right away of $90,000. I eventually decided to go with it, rather then sitting on it for a while. Problem is the appraisal came back at $88,000. Boy was I bumbed out. The only reason it is so low, is because there are no comps. The appraiser said he was going to have trouble, because sales are so slow in Libby right now.
I finally made the decision to sell. the reason? Well I am trying to have more time for my children, lower my stress level, etc. For me to change gears and turn it into a rental would have been very stressful right now. Especially since i had to borrow some of the money to fix the house. So I made the decision. I made only $6500. But if I figured $10 per hour, I would have spent 650 hours working on this project. I'm sure it wasn't that many hours. So my hourly wage was probably pretty decent!
I'm relieved and happy tonight. Next week I'll be paying off 3 credit cards. Next month we will begin again trying to live on what we make! That is always impossible!
Now I get to find my next project! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment