Friday, August 8, 2008

What a busy summer!

Just about every weekend we have been doing something. This summer seemed especially short because the weather was cold and rainy way into June I think it was. Then all of a sudden it's time to get ready for school.
School!
I love homeschooling! I love having my children around and I love teaching them real life lessons. I love teaching math out of a cookbook, I love teaching them how to shop, and how to buy a house. Teaching them vocabulary when reading the bible. It's fun to teach them from real life.
We were driving home from Kalispell the other day when Mark asks if I know how much Mishael's house will appraise for, and Monica starts giggling. She says most kids don't even know what an appraisal is!
Well my children know what appraisals are, what a title company does, what closing costs are, how to figure out if you really are going to make money flipping a house. We all learned a lot from our project. Probably some things more useful then what they would have leaned in the school books. Not that I'm against school books, but I don't do as well with those. I get them and try to get then done every yr, but I usually feel pretty guilty when I look at them, and see how little we are actually getting done.

Well the children really missed going to school this last yr. So we gave in and 3 of them are going to the Adventist school again. This yr there will be 12 children in the school. It's a good school and a great teacher, but I'm really going to miss home schooling!
Well not all together, because I'm going to home school Jon! Whew, Jon is the hard one to school. He hates the books, does great with real life experience, but he really needs some book learning still. Well my life is devoted to doing the best I can to raise them right. Only by the grace of God!
Rick and Jon cutting down a dead tree in the back yard. They were trying to keep it from falling on the pool, but on the other side is the tree fort.
So trying hard to aim it, and it went the wrong direction, landed right on the swigging, rope bridge. Which we found out is extremely strong, as it didn't hurt it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment