Saturday, December 6, 2008

Small towns

I love our little town.  Every year our town starts out the Christmas season with a tree lighting ceremony.  
It starts out with a parade.   A parade in winter!   It was probably about 30 degrees out last night, while lines of people were watching a short parade.  Our town loves parades though.  We have 2 big parades a yr.  One in the spring and one in the fall.  then we have a few more small parades throughout the yr.  Nordic fest, Logger days, Opening day of baseball , Christmas, etc.  They always throw candy for the children, wave and a clown comes through, lots of fire trucks and sirens going.  Now when I was young a parade was exciting because of the marching bands.  We might see a marching band once in a while here, but it's nothing like when I was young. I miss that.  I grew up with orchestra music and marching bands and I feel like my children are missing out.  
After the parade everyone gathers around this big tree at the end of the "gut".  The gut is a culdesac at the end of main street.  The select children's choir sang a couple of songs, Mark is in the choir.  I forgot to bring my camera, but they were so cute.  They wear little tuxedos, and the girls wear long black dresses.  The whole thing started with a prayer for our town, and then the middle school principal read the Christmas story out of Luke 2.  Then they lit up the Christmas tree and everyone claps.  Santa came in on a fire truck because city ordinances say they can't bring reindeer in the city!  
I was really blessed how our town is bold enough to honor God and declare that Christmas is about Jesus' birth.
"He who honors me I will honor", I pray God will keep our little town through this economic crisis.  We already had an economic crisis before the national crisis!
After the town tree lighting Mark's Choir went over to the memorial center.  Here they were having a Hospice tree lighting.  It was a sober, fancy meeting with a huge tree.  They lit one light at a time as they read off names of people who had died this last year one by one.  It took about an hour for them to light the tree this way.  I didn't know about this, or I could have had my mom listed. Hospice was so wonderful to us.  Helping us through things we would have no idea how to handle.
  The choir sang a couple of songs again at this ceremony and that was our interesting evening in our small town.
True we don't have a lot of things to do like the big city to does, but we do make fun out of anything we can.  At least we never lack for things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment