Saturday, September 15, 2007

I did it!

I was asked by the volunteer ambulance if I would teach the class on emergency childbirth and the newborn.
Of course I said I would love to. I have wanted to meet the ambulance crew (before I have an emergency).. So I thought this would be a good opportunity. But truth is every time I have to speak to a group, I get nervous, forgot how to speak and I speak quickly. So this morning I woke up thinking, "I don't want to do this" "Why did I volunteer" "Maybe I should call her and tell her I can't do it".
Well I knew I couldn't quit on her, so at 11:30 I drove off shaking a bit. They were running behind so I sat through a couple of their classes, ate lunch with them, which helped me to get to know them. It's only 12 people all together, and they were of course very nice.
I didn't have to even ad lib, it was all written out for me. I just had to add comments and explain things.
Well I don't know if I did a good job or not, but they said I did and they would be calling me next year.
Maybe Sherry or Karen will do it next year :). I left feeling good that I actually stretched myself again and did it.

Yesterday we helped Michael move in to his own apartment. This was a happy event for a few reasons. One is that he has been living in the birth center. It was fine, but it will be nice to have the 2nd birth room fixed up and to get the house clean and it pretty much stay that way.
The other reason, is this is the 1st time he is in totally his own place. He has had many different living situations, but this is a good step for him. His own 2 bedroom apartment. His rent is cheap, and it's sort of in a low life area, but not too bad. It's very close to his work, which is is working 40 hours a week at MT Sky net. He can ride his bike to everywhere in town in no time flat. So we helped him move from the birth center, tried to gather a few items to get him by. trash cans, a pan or 2. He gr abed some plastic plates and forks till he can get some better things.
Well the 1st thing he will need is some furniture. We had an entertainment center, some folding chairs and he's borrowing a folding table. He has a computer desk. I'm sure before you know it, he will have it furnished and set up.

1 comment: